Said (Microsoft researcher) Danah Boyd, addressing why young people aren’t following traditional, regular news.
gjmueller: <B @zephoria(via gjmueller)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Awesome presentation :)
Lets all be an Optimist Prime when thinking and using technology in the classroom and not being bogged down in Negatron thinking :)
With some reflection I would like to add the following comments regarding our connect session with Bob Harrison.
Even though we had some technical issues regarding sound of the people that were in the room with Bob I don’t think that this should disparage us from using this great tool in teaching, for the following reasons…
If you think about the wider picture, Bob was actually being streamed to 40 different locations through LCC including Park Lane, Danby, Technology and Keighley. That’s a pretty big job and I think all involved achieving that should be congratulated :)
A suggestion of how we use that technology in future events could follow that the presenter is in a room on their own and addresses the camera so that we feel ‘connected’ to that experience and are allowed to have our questions answered without an audience in the room with the speaker.
Hi all. Just wanted to say thanks for all your great input regarding today’s SDD. I think setting up this tumblr account was a good move that I really hope continues to grow and develop with our creative approaches to teaching in an innovative and collaborative manner. Again, many thanks :D
3 improvements for technical services-
-geographical centralisation of the technical office in order to reduce time spent away from classroom for students
-increase the amount of equipment in order to meet the current high demand
-improve the bookings and reservation system on both equipment and studios
1. Who? Group, personal, student tutor should be one and the same person. That person should be appoint 7 on a permanent contract
No more than two groups per tutor
2. What? Comprehensive tracking on webstar
3. Training needs. Audit of webstar indicates webstar/mtg/smart targets all need training
- use of social networking in formative assessment
- personalised learning and personalised assessment
- use of a reflective personal journal to track progress especially in group work
1. All tutors should be able to access and upload materials for all courses in creative arts dept. to allow much more sharing of resources.
2. Students work such as video projects, photographs etc should be showcased so tutors and students can comment and praise.
3. Improve the look of the site so it is more dynamic and interactive. Possibly get students to do some of this as work experience? Moodle to look more like Facebook tumblr etc.
More professional relationship
Trips to shows
Appropriate learning and relaxing environments
Facilities for innovative teaching
1. More collaborative projects between subjects and across curriculum - using the model of the H.e Edinburgh project (blog project).
2. More task based schedules of work attached to assessment (more use of moodle and interactive mediums such as blogs etc) digitally and electronically.
3. Shorter course durations - more bridging between courses to enable easier escalation to higher levels with accreditation.
We think that we should create a creative arts area that helps cement our identity, this will also assist in creating an inclusive learning environment for our entry 3 to level 1 students (and also for all of our students).
We also need a blended and consistent learning environment as some of our students will need a more traditional approach to learning and teaching.